Frequently Asked Questions  

Term related FAQs:

Q1a. What is a "NWCO" or "WCO?"
A. "NWCO" stands for Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator. "WCO" stands for Wildlife Control Operator. Both titles equate to a service industry entity that controls and/or manages wildlife or other vertebrate species. A WCO might be licensed to perform invertebrate ("bug") work, but his/her main occupation is wildlife management and control. WCOs are generally self-employed businessmen of the private sector. 

Q2a. What is an "ACO?"
A. "ACO" stands for Animal Control Officer. Persons of this title are generally involved  with the management and control of domestic animals, such as dogs and cats.  ACOs are usually employed by government agencies. 

Q3a. What is a "PCO?" 
A. "PCO" stands for Pest Control Operator. PCOs generally concentrate on invertebrate species management and control (spiders, termites, ants, cockroaches, etc.). Some PCOs also perform wildlife control work.  PCOs are generally self-employed businessmen of the private sector. 

Q4a. What is a "CWCP?"
A. "CWCP" stands for Certified Wildlife Control Professional. Any person possessing the CWCP title has proven to the National Wildlife Control Operators Association Review Board that he/she has demonstrated 100 hours of developmental education and 36 months of experience. CWCP status must be updated through proven, current educational experience on a regular basis. 

Q5a. What is "NWCOA?"

NWCOA stands for the National Wildlife Control Operators Association. NWCOA is a trade association representing WCOs across the nation.

Desert Wildlife Services related FAQs:

Q1. Do you provide your services for free?
A. No. Desert Wildlife Services is a private wildlife control business. We are not funded by public tax money.

Q2. Are you a state or federal agency?
A. No. See Q1.

Q3. What are your fees?
A. Service fees vary greatly depending on the task at hand. Please call us and we will do our best to offer a figure over the phone. If the situation requires us to visit the site before offering a quote, we will tell you this during the initial call.

Q4. Is this an animal rescue group? Do you take in sick, abandoned or injured wildlife and animals?
A: No. We can sometimes transport injured, sick, abandoned or displaced wildlife and animals in need of help to the proper facility, but we do charge a fee. Call or contact the local animal rescue and wildlife rehabilitators listed on our Wildlife Rehabilitation page. You might also call the Region 5 Division of the Arizona Game and Fish Department for a complete list of licensed Wildlife Rehabilitators. (520) 628-5375.

Q5. My dog (or cat) is lost. Can we report this to you?
A. You should report lost dogs and cats to Pima Animal Control and the local Humane Society.

Q6. We have a stray dog running loose in our area. Can you remove it?
A. Stray dogs should be reported to Pima Animal Control.  If the situation involves an emergency, we might be able to help. We do charge a fee for dog removal and transport.

Q7. I'd like to report a case of animal abuse. Am I calling the right place?
A. No. Reports of animal abuse and wildlife violations should be reported to Pima Animal Control and the Arizona Game and fish Department, respectively.

Q8. Do you trap and remove stray cats?
A. Yes. Please see our feral cat removal page.

Q9: My dog (or cat) has escaped and won't come back into the house. Can we hire you to catch it?
A. Yes. We have performed many such captures.

Q10. Are you the Museum?
A. No. See Q1. You might be looking for information regarding the International Wildlife Museum or the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.

Q11. I just need some information on how to control some problem animals on my own. Can you help me?
A. For free consultation regarding do-it-yourself work, try contacting Arizona Game and Fish, the Arizona Cooperative Extension or other wildlife related government agencies.

Q12. Do you offer consultation services?
A. Yes. Please call us and we will gladly discuss the situation at hand.

Q13. Are you licensed by the state?
A. Yes. We are licensed by the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Q14. Do you get rid of ants, spiders, scorpions, bugs and termites?
A. No. We handle nuisance wildlife. Please call a Pest Control Operator for the control of invertebrate species.

Q15. Do you control problem birds?
A. Yes. Managing and controlling problem birds is one of our specialties.

Q16. Is there anything you can do to help us get rid of the bats roosting above our porch, in the garage and in our home? We do not want them harmed.
A. Yes. We specialize in bat removal and keeping bats from roosting in and entering undesirable places. No bats are harmed during the process of removing bats from your home and property.  Please see our webpage at http://desertwildlifeservices.com/batcontrol.htm.

Q17. We have something trapped in our attic/stove vent/fireplace. Can you get it out?
A: More than likely, yes. We commonly remove birds, rats, squirrels, raccoons and other animals from attics, crawlspaces, stove vents, fireplaces and other locations in homes, garages and sheds.

Q18. Do you remove skunks and raccoons?
A. Yes. We remove skunks and raccoons from homes, sheds, garages, gardens and anywhere that they are a problem.

Q19. Do you remove snakes and provide site inspections for the prevention of snake presence? Can you teach my dog to avoid snakes, rattlesnakes and river toads?
A. Yes. We provide snake removal and control and also provide snake avoidance and toad avoidance classes for dogs.

Q20. Who do I call if someone has been bitten by a snake?
A. Call 911!. The Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center can be contacted at 1800-222-1222.

Q21. Do you trap coyotes and bobcats in town? They have been killing and eating my pets and hanging around.
A. Yes. We offer predator control in town. Please call us and explain the situation. There is always a way to prevent coyotes, bobcats and foxes from killing dogs, cats, birds and other animals of value.

Q22. Do you remove dead animals from walls, attics, etc?
A. Yes. We can usually find and remove dead animals from inside structures.

Q23. Can you pick up a dead animal from my yard or inside the house?
A. Yes. We offer dead animal removal and disposal services.

Q24. Do you have anything to get rid of the smell from dead animals and skunks?
A. Yes.  Please call us regarding the specifics of your odor removal needs.

Q25: Do you use leg-hold traps for predator control? Don't the animals chew their leg off to escape?
A. We sometimes use foothold traps for capturing coyotes and bobcats on private property, if the situation allows. No, animals do not chew their legs off to escape.

Q26. Who should I call about animal related diseases, such as, bird flu, West Nile, Haunta virus, etc?
A. The Center for Disease Control. Locally, you should contact the Pima County Health Department or the University of Arizona Veterinary Diagnostic Lab

Q27. What are your hours? Can we call you on weekends and holidays?
A.  We keep no set schedule of hours. Please feel free to call us anytime.


Desert Wildlife Services, Inc.
5405 West Sunset Road
Tucson, Arizona 85743
(520) 743-1411
All images and text are copyright 2003-7 or licensed to Desert Wildlife Services, Inc., unless stated otherwise.
All rights reserved. Logo is trademark TM of Desert Wildlife Services, Inc. All rights reserved.